Re: Return to Glorantha

From: valkoharja <rintasaa_at_1GcYFSF-oMnC5tec4M-P8JYjDr6Qn6Kgvhb7hayfAmd3zz9-doPXZVqJv1Dc0zAoigd>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2007 21:29:41 -0000

[Dave]
> I am pondering a return to Glorantha after almost 20 years away. I
> still have most of the AH RQ3 material in storage, but nothing
> earlier or later.
>
> Any recomendations on where to begin again? Mongoose RuneQuest and
> Second Age Glorantha, RQ3 using the AH rules and supplements,
> HeroQuest, scouring e-bay and the web for old Chaosium stuff?

Greetings Dave. Your reasons for liking Glorantha are much the same as my own, and Glorantha hasn't moved away from those. Much the opposite in fact. The world is richer with more "myth and culture" than ever. The Bronze Age feel is important to me, so I make an effort to stay "low tech". This is pretty much up to the individual GM/Narrator.

> Any reviews of teh current state of Glorantha and where and what I
> might find it most satisfying to jump back in again would be most
> welcome.

I would pick up the basic HeroQuest book, even if you don't intend to use the HQ gamesystem. The information there about heroquesting and magic is just beautiful to see.

I recommend picking a favorite area and going with material from there.

The Griffin Mountain material has been collected and reprinted, if you want to run your games in Balazar. An excellent and well defined place.

http://www.btinternet.com/~nick_brooke/products/griffin.htm

The second age material from Mongoose is of varying quality, but the basic Second Age book is a really good read. My favorite second age place, Pavis, has recieved a series of brilliant fan books. Especially this one:

http://www.warehouse23.com/item.html?id=TCS0002

There's also good stuff on the place in the Third Age.

The new "Blood Over Gold" book sounds very good, but I haven't yet gotten a chanse to read it. It's supposedly a nicely self-contained setting, so it could be ideal for a dive back into Glorantha. As a bonus, it's awailable as a PDF from drivethruRPG, as are many other excellent Glorantha books. The Orlanthi culture book "Storm Rebels" is pretty much a must if you are interested in our lovable stormy hotheads.

http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product_info.php?products_id=50030

  -Adept