Re: Epic NPCs and their stats

From: Brian Curley <bkcurley_at_DVZ7eOebzYGkmK-eGwRPAm9acWxj2RoguoLVQh22ZAiqpiU12FnbjLmTFT6AVEgunJw>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2007 20:00:26 -0500

David Dunham wrote:

> There really isn't any need to. What is worth knowing however is what
> JarEel can *do*. Knowing her most useful abilities allows the
> narrator to describe what happens. But the actual numbers are going
> to vary by campaign.

This is what I was trying to say earlier. I don't think the exact numbers for any of the "forces of nature" are necessary because they are who they are. They're going to do what they're going to do. And if your campaign diverges significantly from what we know is established "future history", then make up your own stats because the ones from the "Glorantha that does not vary" (i.e. Greg's) aren't going to be accurate anyway.

I mean if most people are going to say "my game and Greg's canon are the same up to *here*, then MGWV...", then the stats from Greg's game wouldn't seem to be tremendously useful because the Butterfly Effect would almost dictate that the events that led to so-and-so's 'Kill Anything' ability being 20w4 wouldn't have happened in your game.

I'm not trying to tell anyone how they should run their game, or what they should want in future Glorantha products. I'm just explaining why if GAC comes out with nary a hard number to be found, it'll be just as useful for me as if it had complete character sheets for everyone ever mentioned by name in every Glorantha product ever. Ever. Ummm... yeah.

Since the power scale in every game is going to be different, almost by necessity, I think it would be more useful to have these heroes described in terms of what they can do or how they compare to the best heroes in the world (and thus the GM can gauge how they compare to her PCs).

Brian