Re: Epic NPCs and their stats

From: valkoharja <rintasaa_at_lpw_2CU0SA7kLJehI8gpCGz0jtEB27OQomwJ2Ia6Lyh_oVThGuI252rHtSSeJN_sLXM>
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2007 18:45:14 -0000

Sorry, but this is a straw man argument. I'm going to use the stats Greg will publish at some point, and let the dice fall where they may when and if they are needed "in anger". I don't see why the stats would suddenly be "not accurate anyway" just because I don't intend to follow a future timeline to the letter. I don't understand where that argument comes from.

> I mean if most people are going to say "my game and Greg's canon are
> the same up to *here*, then MGWV...", then the stats from Greg's
> game wouldn't seem to be tremendously useful because the Butterfly
> Effect would almost dictate that the events that led to so-and-so's
> 'Kill Anything' ability being 20w4 wouldn't have happened in your
> game.

No it doesn't. Admittedly things will gradually become different from the point of divergense, but that doesn't matter the stats wouldn't be useful. Even if Jareel or Harrek never get's to grow to their full power and fury in my game, it's still useful to know what they would be like at their prime.

> Since the power scale in every game is going to be different, almost
> by necessity, I think it would be more useful to have these heroes
> described in terms of what they can do or how they compare to the
> best heroes in the world (and thus the GM can gauge how they compare
> to her PCs).

This is what the stats will do. The published stats are consistent with each other. If the power scale in your campaign is different, the stats will still tell you the relative strengths of Jareel and Gunda, for instance. The you just add or remove masteries as needed for your take on the rules.

  -Adept