Re: Heortling Duels (in Heortland)

From: donald_at_rwHCmL_nAROxXolciBcCBHjPEQmLZIo0peE9ZKIJ2vJ5mpbiOfXypVtwDX3AJroxMzX1Q
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2007 01:41:27 GMT

In message <faflb0+2h2c_at_eGroups.com> "valkoharja" writes:
>[LC]

>> In a duel to the death, I wouldn't limit it to the "stand there and=20
>> hit each other" approach - I like sticking them on an island or=20
>> hilltop and only one gets to come down. (Maybe, if there is a=20
>> reason for enough to be there, with a circle of Humakti surrounding=20
>> the hilltop to make sure only one comes down.)

I don't see the latter happening. For a start where do all those Humatki come from? And why? Someone who runs from such a fight is a coward who has lost all honour. Not worth killing although if their opponent does hunt them down later it's perfectly acceptable.

>I wonder if chief Haran's work has been for nothing. Will either clan
>accept the result of the duel if their clansman/woman falls? I can
>sort of see the duel are being a clearing, with both clan's warbands
>looking on from the opposite sides. The problem here is that it's
>pretty much exactly the Champion's Battle, and can easily escalate
>from there.
>
>If it's a fair duel, I'd expect the gods or war to favour the clan
>whose member won the duel, if it comes to general battle.

I would have thought in such a formal duel both clans would swear oaths to abide by the result. The biggest risk I can see is the losing clan claiming the winner cheated. Maybe an independant Humatki to rule on such claims would prevent that.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/