Re: Heortling Duels (in Heortland)

From: Jimbruce <john.hughes_at_YA9ROtR22bQu7-CSTNDAlZVOeAsscsZo5htb6Q2UN3Ox1OWgZBDmdGdzmrqihhWO>
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2007 21:30:40 -0000

LOL. Cobber, you obviously haven't met me. :) And your own response has effectively disproved your point. [Carefully checks which list he's posting to] ....

> Doesn't that contradict everything you just said about the cycle of
> hate?

Yes, it does. Back to the drawing board on that one ...

> And how can you fight a duel with magic if you are outlawed for a
> day, as Orlanth would have withdrawn his magic (see recent
> discussions here on outlawrey).

MGVs on that one. Historically, outlawry was a death sentence. An out law became 'nilthing' - nothing. Being cut off from kin, friendship, shelter and protection was enough to kill most outlaws within a year or so. Curses seem to me an unnecessary game mechanism. We're slowly but surely turning the gods into rule mechanisms, completely losing the numinosity. YGWV.

> And isn't that also a bit 'gamesmanship' on behalf of both clans,
> working the system so to speak?

Yes, as presented, it is. I shot off my reply when I was actually working this through in the context of Harvar Ironfist introducing solar law (execution) into the clan based justice systems of the Far Place. Harvar always acts to maximise internal dissagreement within the clans - he's a classic wedge issue politician. Obviously, I need to refine this a bit more... Thanks for the comments.

Cheers

John