Re: Murdering raiders

From: donald_at_8X4J7D5D314K9MznkJetOzBYMaqJyZxrPGAMDiRZTXszx1oDEQGOPWGjUAyyyuKxah6-q
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2007 13:02:40 GMT

In message <200708231152.22534.akuma_at_hrGbS5T08RndAJfAt9SxyJOJgUhLWlvHp8xsgGwA31xH8aWnLu2aqe_ZhiB6EFm6tG6pxSF1WqOVHvK0CJX9UZrse0iiKao.yahoo.invalid> Gouki writes:

>I was wondering wether it was punishable or not to kill while defending one's
>tula against raiders from another Orlanthi clan. In this case, does wergild
>apply or not?
>
>The defender was a humakti gest who was fighting alone against six people
>(including a weaponthane).

Any raider who tangles with the follower of a death god deserves what happens to them.

However their kin could have a claim both against the host and the Humatki personally. I suppose there might be political reasons why the host would pay wergeld but I'd expect the Humatki to respond by challenging the other clan to put up a champion to fight a duel to resolve the claim. As the Orlanthi saying goes "Violence is always an option".

In general killing during raids is discouraged but it happens and the politics of the clan relationships determine the compensation paid. There's no punishment as such.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/