Re: Murdering raiders

From: Benedict Adamson <yahoo_at_WusP2kiFOyVdVJc9Ond-ERgvkFfjbpuznaAWFdeRx57l0hpatJgoXZ9LWWpPWEn-MbMATI>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2007 19:25:48 +0100

Gouki wrote:
> I was wondering wether it was punishable or not to kill while defending one's
> tula against raiders from another Orlanthi clan.

Heortling law doesn't really have the concept of 'punishment'. There is restitution to cease further conflict, rather than punishment; in modern terms there is no criminal law, only civil law. So, if someone from clan A kills someone from clan B, clan A has two options: they can pay wergeld to clan B, or they can flight it out with clan B if/when clan B takes vengeance. It does not matter much what clan B was up to when the murder took place, or who in clan A did the killing.