Re: Murdering raiders

From: donald_at_AyIQd5MK57K2HjfXoMGPObBLTigkxobFdP-yCySvtMvlSa8A7lQktCHkFNTQPMsEKsPLO
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2007 19:01:50 GMT

In message <fak7uq+k1le_at_eGroups.com> "bryan_thx" writes:

>I agree that killing during raids--on both sides--would normally be
>discouraged. What goes around comes around and all of that.
>
>But I can't imagine that an attacking clan would have a claim for
>deaths that occurred on the defending clan's tula. It someone enters
>your tula and does not ask for hospitality, my impression was that
>legally you were basically free to do with them as you wll.

I see raids as a ritual practice with strictly limited objectives which don't seriously damage either clan. Cuts and bruises are to be expected but killing or maiming someone is a serious injury to the clan.

The host's best defence to a claim for wergeld would be that the dead man and his friends took on a Humakti in what was supposed to be a raid. That's stupidity, raiders normally back off when they encounter weaponthanes.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/