Re: Murdering raiders

From: bryan_thx <bethexton_at_7Byopz5Xy0VRVZS99d9tfIxbdI2hjJ6HQFx4EAkRRJ_LDabxKVOyOvrBCyR68q41ZM>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2007 20:42:11 -0000

> I see raids as a ritual practice with strictly limited objectives
> which don't seriously damage either clan. Cuts and bruises are to
> be expected but killing or maiming someone is a serious injury to
> the clan.
>
> The host's best defence to a claim for wergeld would be that the
> dead man and his friends took on a Humakti in what was supposed to
> be a raid. That's stupidity, raiders normally back off when they
> encounter weaponthanes.

OK, we differ on how raids run. What you described matches how I'd see a cattle raid. But my view of raids is more influenced by King of Dragon Pass computer game, including most weaponthanes and most of the fyrd from both clans, with some deaths almost inevitable, and some raids ending up with dozens dead.

Based on those different views of what a raid entails, what would be associated with it will obviously differ.

-Bryan