Re: Holy Country 1616 - the Evil Year

From: L.Castellucci <lightcastle_at_0SO_HCKIh6lJ8kS7ikoGVyuHsC_4rXqZEG7DH6bTnwgKgByVo8nx6kC2xyh2oW5g>
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2007 23:17:41 -0400

*nod*

Just trying to get enough background on the Holy Country to get a handle on Karse made my head hurt.

Absolutely it cries out for a major treatment. We have two primarily heortling cultures (Heortland and Esrolia) both of which differ in major ways from the situation in Sartar. We have a Troll country, the utterly unique Rightarm Islanders and Caladrians, and the we've got the Left Arm Islanders.

You had an area that has been a semi-independent empire since the Dawn, first under the OOO and then under the God-King. It has been the biggest boy on the block who didn't become a bully (as far as I can tell, the area was almost never expansionistic).

The Lunar Empire HAD to take out the God-King because he was a major threat to rival them if he wanted to.

Then it all falls to hell.

How much did it ever view itself as unified in the first place? (A question I sometimes ask of Sartar, to be honest.)

I am hoping to pick up "History of the Heortling peoples" which should give some canonical pinning to heortland and esrolia and by osmosis the rest of the area, but it is an awesome place to set a campaign, overlapping the Great Argrath Saga (which is another reason I would be reluctant to touch it) as it encompasses Whitewall, a lot of where Harrek goes messing about, etc.

LC