Re: Holy Country 1616 - the Evil Year

From: Greg Stafford <Greg_at_y7j3iIB9MKNIgf12X9grRZAkJKH6sPHyxOCfjI_KhzgrAl2zfLdTCZ3n_gadvDdQkiF2laa>
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2007 21:56:45 -0700

YGWV L.Castellucci wrote:

> Absolutely it cries out for a major treatment. We have two primarily
heortling
> cultures (Heortland and Esrolia) both of which differ in major ways
from the
> situation in Sartar.

A bit of correction.

The Esrolians are not Heortling at all. Both peoples had Vingkotling origins, but went their own ways long before Heort lived. The Esrolians rallied behind, and were saved, by the goddess Imarja. The Heortlings similarly, by Heort.

The Sartarites are almost entirely descended from the Heortlings.

> We have a Troll country,

Though they are rather unique and different from most trolls, in being follower of Ezkankekko. As are the trollish humans, or the humanish trolls, or nonhuman nontrolls, the Kotori

> the utterly unique Rightarm
> Islanders

Yes. Their hair is black and curly, and their arms are notably longer than most people.

> and Caladrians,

Ruddy, lithe fiery folk. Beware their spears, and you'd better be wary of every bird in sight....

> and the we've got the Left Arm Islanders.
True atheists, remnants of a Malkioni colony forgotten in the west.

And don't forget those dear Aeolians!

> You had an area that has been a semi-independent empire since the
Dawn, first
> under the OOO and then under the God-King.

Yes, even during the GL/dragon wars!

> It has been the biggest boy on the
> block who didn't become a bully (as far as I can tell, the area was
almost
> never expansionistic).

Yea, gotta love that Ezkankekko for that!

> The Lunar Empire HAD to take out the God-King because he was a major
threat to
> rival them if he wanted to.

Though, I think, they misjudged him. He'd not been expansionist, ever.  That damned ambitious JarEel, looking for a powerful foe to prove herself!

> Then it all falls to hell.

That is so. Let us have a moment of silence to mourn the civilization that lived in peace for such a long time that its citizens began to think that pace was normal for human affairs, instead of an exception.

> How much did it ever view itself as unified in the first place?

Very much so, actually. For most of the reign of the Pharaoh the residents basked and gloried in their unity and peace.

> (A question I
> sometimes ask of Sartar, to be honest.)

And rightly so. However, I will attest that our Great Lord and peacemaker King Sartar did, in fact, unite the clans and tribes and bring peace among them.

Too bad about those external foes...

> I am hoping to pick up "History of the Heortling peoples"

A must for all of us wishing to know of the region!!

> which should give
> some canonical pinning to heortland and esrolia and by osmosis the
rest of
> the area, but it is an awesome place to set a campaign, overlapping
the Great
> Argrath Saga (which is another reason I would be reluctant to touch
it) as it
> encompasses Whitewall, a lot of where Harrek goes messing about, etc.

Be fortified! The GAC is in the works!

--Greg