Re: Holy Country 1616 - the Evil Year

From: Jeff Richard <richaje_at_YY3TW5yFMplmPrpdJPIxsh3FJ-NXIa-sP3LVoWG_cNNLH-IVWSPv5DLO_9DQajT6ClW2>
Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2007 07:35:39 -0000

> The Esrolians are not Heortling at all. Both peoples had Vingkotling
> origins, but went their own ways long before Heort lived. The Esrolians
> rallied behind, and were saved, by the goddess Imarja. The Heortlings
> similarly, by Heort.

Greg is absolutely spot on. There is a chapter in the Heortling History Book about Esrolia, its origins, and its society.

> The Sartarites are almost entirely descended from the Heortlings.

As are of course the Orlanthi of the Heortlending Plateau.

> > the utterly unique Rightarm
> > Islanders
> Yes. Their hair is black and curly, and their arms are notably longer
> than most people.

That I did not know! I am certain that the destruction of the fleet in 1616 hurt the Rightarm Islanders extremely badly. If the Islanders made up a large portion of the rowers, a significant percentage of the total male population of the Islands may have died in 1616.

> > and Caladrians,
> Ruddy, lithe fiery folk. Beware their spears, and you'd better be wary
> of every bird in sight....

I'm curious how much cultural impact their long alliance with the Middle Sea Empire and Slontos had on the Caladralanders.

> > and the we've got the Left Arm Islanders.
> True atheists, remnants of a Malkioni colony forgotten in the west.

With Brithini rulers if I recall.

> > Then it all falls to hell.
>
> That is so. Let us have a moment of silence to mourn the civilization
> that lived in peace for such a long time that its citizens began to
> think that pace was normal for human affairs, instead of an exception.

Exactly. The tragedy of the Holy Country is profound indeed. But for  the constant turbulence of the Orlanthi in Heortland, and some minor civil strife in Esrolia and Caladraland, I think most Kethaelans enjoyed nearly three centuries under the Pax Belintar - another non-expansionist, relatively light-handed ruler.

> Very much so, actually. For most of the reign of the Pharaoh the
> residents basked and gloried in their unity and peace.

With a very few exceptions - most significantly the Volsaxings.

Jeff