Re: Murdering raiders

From: David Dunham <david_at_HgL5-MkeWjspaVBzEesIN-zCgBuZlNHV8B8X--crBKcGlD9KGwkIO1UBVCdUQH8KcmQT4e>
Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2007 17:00:55 -0700

Gouki

>I was wondering wether it was punishable or not to kill while defending one's
>tula against raiders from another Orlanthi clan. In this case, does wergild
>apply or not?

Firstly, we usually use the term "murder" as short for "secret murder" (i.e. the Icelandic crime of killing someone without announcing it and thus taking responsibility). And in modern English, the definition involves an unlawful premeditated killing. So I think it's unlikely that defending against raiders would be "murder" in the legalistic sense.

But killing someone is always going to need some form of compensation. I can see your defensive killing being used to offset the killing of a defender, when the elders try to mediate the quarrel.

Finally, Humakti are often outside of the normal legal system.

Donald

>In general killing during raids is discouraged but it happens and
>the politics of the clan relationships determine the compensation
>paid. There's no punishment as such.

Right -- the ideal outcome is to drive off the raiders without killing them (and for them to seize loot without killing any defenders).

--

David Dunham