Re: Wenelians

From: David Dunham <david_at_0XFDv35ymx16s4TuHNudDPPSr4de3EfYY6xblrOfXnD0CTfQTuo9CVvYgzu4pZOSAyUE5a>
Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2007 17:19:30 -0700

Tadaaki Kakegawa
>BTW, It seems that Wenelians have many roots from many cultures.
>Helerings, Aulorings, Entruli, Mraloti, Hsunchens , etc ...
>Could anyone know detail of those peoples ?

IMG this is a myth from First Age Slontos, preserved by the people from that region who emigrated to Umathela. (I particularly like their view of cities.) It's probably known by at least some of the Wenelians.

Hooafting and Stenya
[adapted from Setenaya and Argwana, Nart Sagas of the Caucasus p.34]

Long ago there stood a city called Gundgund. Its streets were narrow and twisted. A man could easily become lost there and never find his way out! In Gundgund lived a woman named Lady Stenya, whose beauty was unsurpassed. Also in the city was a great treasure, a magical three-legged table. When one tapped on it and commanded it to bring food, it would bring whatever was desired. Unlike most tables, the top of this one was made of leather.

King Hooafting's wife had died. One of his young warriors, Tynuquo, proposed that he marry Stenya. Hooafting said, "She won't go with me."

Tynuquo replied, "A man doesn't let the drinking horn pass him by. She will go with you, Hooafting."

They set off and came to Stenya's home in the city. They were made welcome, and Tynuquo told their hostess, "Hooafting has no wife. So we have come to court you." Hooafting said, "Come away with me, Stenya!"

"I will not marry you, Hooafting."

"What is wrong with me, Stenya?"

"We are of different folk, you and I. Our kind never marry. We could
never have children."

"Many white sheep stand among our herds. Black give birth to white.
White give birth to black."

"Your old hat is in tatters, your old cloak has been dragged through
the underbrush. Your shirt is a boar skin. How could I ever marry you?"

"I will wear my finest at our wedding."

Stenya replied, "How could I every marry the likes of him, Tynuquo? You bring before me a white-bearded old man."

Now a frown came over Hooafting. "I'll make you a swineherd's wife, or you can shave off my mustache, you witch!"

Then Hooafting returned home. He sent out messengers, and called together a great meeting of all the Entruli. When everyone had assembled he asked, "Who is absent?"

"Argwan of the Ueneli did not heed your call," said Wusar the
Venerable, who was famed as a seer. "Without Argwan the Mighty, Gundgund City will not be yours."

Hooafting sent a young warrior. "Argwan, you must come. The Entruli have been insulted."

Argwan answered, "If so, then I will come. But first you must tell me the number of my pigs."

Alas, the youth could not count so high, so he returned to the assembly. The army stood ready to set forth. When they heard the bad news, they didn't know what to do.

Among them was Yermi, a trader from the Eerili, who offered to fetch Argwan. He was dispatched.

"Greetings, Argwan! May your hogs be fruitful! I bid you join the Entruli."

"Listen well, trader. You must tell me their number, if you are to be
a swineherd."

"Mother pigs-nine, tuskers-ten, buff-eleven, shaggy ones-twelve,
half-greys-eighteen, their mothers-thirty, and their fathers-thirty. Another thirty behind each of these. Leading each sow is a piglet. Thousands upon thousands, they stand in the valleys."

"Yes, that is the size of my brood. If I leave, you must care for
them. You must not lose a single one!" Argwan saddled his boar Wayekwacha, and set off for the place where the Entruli stood assembled.

The other Entruli grew frightened at his approach and feared that he would seize the young beauty for himself. Wily Saseru said, "Argwan cannot be restrained by force alone, but he is a fool. Tonight let's make him stand watch. When he sleeps, we shall set off on our quest and be gone at his waking.

So they gave Argwan the night watch, and he fell asleep despite all, just as Saseru had said. Then the army set off, unheard by Argwan, and travelled a great distance.

When Argwan awoke at dawn, he set off after them astride Wayekwacha, easily overtook them, and fell in with them.

That night they drew near the walls of Gundgund and prepared to storm the city by dark.

Argwan was in the forefront of the Entruli. He was the first to smash through the gates. He was the first to run through the twisted dark streets. He was the first to find the magic table. He was the first to find Stenya. He seized her and carried her back, pushing his way through the ranks, both of Entruli warrior and of foe, thwarting all efforts to stop him. He strapped the girl to Wayekwacha and started home.

 From the back of the boar Stenya saw Hooafting and pleaded, "Save me from this ugly swineherd and forever will I be your wife!"

"You haughty sorceress, I have kept my promise to you!"

"I see now how the King of the Entruli goes courting!"

Argwan returned to his home, and counted all his pigs. All were there, so he gave gifts to Yermi and sent him on his way. But Yermi had hidden all the piglets born during the battle, and drove them home.

Yermi went to Hooafting, who rewarded him for his part in the assault on Gundgund. But when Yermi boasted that he had stolen Argwan's treasure, Hooafting was silent.

The king gave many a feast with the magical table. Yet Hooafting was full of anguish, as wily Saseru could see. One day when Hooafting was alone, Saseru came up to him, and without greeting whispered, "Two brothers live nearby, the sons of Anaya of the Mulori. If you can find them, they will stand up against Argwan. They can kill him."

Hooafting sent a messenger to the grim sons of Anaya. "Hooafting bids you prosper! He invites you to dine with him."

"We shall accept his hospitality."

Hooafting greeted them, and they were served marvelous food by the magical table. Hooafting said, "That night at Gundgund city, Argwan fought in the forefront of battle, where he took Stenya and this, the magical leather table. He may still want it, but none of us can withstand him."

The brothers replied, "We will bring peace to your heart," and quietly withdrew.

Soon one evening the grim pair set upon Argwan as he was rounding up his pigs. For seven nights and seven days they fought with the mighty swineherd, and on the eighth evening they slew him. The two brothers then brought his ugly head to their king, and with much gold for reward returned to their home.

Hooafting rode to the house of Argwan. "Lady Stenya, I spoke in haste. Even though you have been a swineherd's wife, will you be my queen? You will sit beside me in the Hall of Feasts. You will wear the Turquoise Band and the Copper Coronet."

"I can hardly go back to Gundgund now," she replied. "My honor is
henceforth your honor."

Lady Stenya remained Hooafting's wife forevermore.

BTW, I recommend the Nart sales -- some scholars think the earliest version of Arthur's sword in the stone comes from them.

--

David Dunham