Re: "Minor" Heroquest (Humakt fights a Hydra)

From: David Dunham <david_at_HkzJ4y0t-5ycUOTA1CnpmIrNWFpe1-02asG53ZVa97_u-o-F03jAZ4yBATh5QX_UkHpHG2>
Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2007 17:35:22 -0700

David

Nice to get a questable myth!

>I wanted everyone to be involved in some way (which meant a heroquest
>involving only one or two active cults wasn't going to work)

Always a good goal, but don't forget the key to actually playing heroquests:

"'All of us, our band, shall be Bonborn,' says Hengal." [HQ p.194]

If I were to run it, any warrior could take the role of Humakt. Sometimes I've had the PC acting as the main character wear or hold some token (in this myth, I'd probably say whoever had the sword used in the crossing over ritual was acting as Humakt -- everyone else could be his band). The tracking may in fact be better done by a hunter or scout, acting as Humakt at that heroquest station.

And if there were no Lhankor Mhy available, I'd say the quest provides one (in the same way it provides opponents). Of course, if you didn't come prepared with a Lhankor Mhy, persuading him to help (or getting him back after he leaves) might be a difficult challenge.

--

David Dunham