Re: Terror in War - Long

From: valkoharja <rintasaa_at_bj0zfgXcGeiFFz3NKc8ggw47ZiNAHjbpcDtbptS8ksD6xtr0jHe1Xcu1EsL-9m-TyFg>
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2007 09:01:54 -0000

[Adept]
> >There will be individual exceptions, but I don't think sickness of
> >modern total war is appropriate for the struggle against the Empire.

[Donald]
> There's nothing that's practiced today that hasn't been common
> throughout history. There was a period during the 18th Century
> when wars in Europe were fought using a fairly strict code but
> that didn't prevent the sacking of towns which fell to seige.

Even so. My comment about _modern_ total war stands for everything after the bronze/iron age :) and in fact even before. Atrocities have worse and more obvious consequenses on Glorantha than they ever did/do on Earth.

It's of course up to each GM/Narrator to make these calls, but I for one aren't interested in Glorantha as a copy of Earth. Let's also remember that historical records are far from perfect, and we can't ultimately really know how much religion, morals and ethics reigned in man's destructive nature in the bronze/iron age of our own world. We have fragments from events like the Peloponnesian War or Roman conquests, but usually from very few sources.

  -Adept : who prefers having Glorantha as a place where rape and    secret murder have severe karmic consequenses.

  -Adept