Adventures in Nochet

From: Jeff Richard <richaje_at_7zmQaFKUlBv9v0ppdBe79O5ke8ZQJoxZnpr4fHmJ--5Aw2FRNn_fB-Y_5Qyjod3SGqqy>
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2007 18:57:05 -0000

I've long been fascinated with the city of Nochet. I was rereading the section in History of the Heortling Peoples about Esrolia and came upon this little blurb on Nochet that Greg and I wrote:

"The "queen of Esrolian cities" is Nochet, the oldest and most populated city in Esrolia. During the Middle Sea Empire, Nochet numbered at least 100,000 people. After the Closing and the Dragonkill, the population of Nochet dropped to about 5,000. The arrival of the God-King was a blessing to the city and its population soon grew to 20,000. However, with the Opening of the Seas, Nochet has boomed, rapidly growing from 20,000 people to 100,000 in little more than a generation. Nochet now has a significant Esvularing and Western Malkioni minority (perhaps as many as 5,000 or more)."

What a wonderful location for adventures and games. A city with nearly as many people as all of Sartar - booming and bustling with folk from all over the world. Hectic, disorderly, having grown 500% in just 30 years, and with great temples to Ernalda, Esrola, and many other Orlanthi and foreign gods. Foreigners, immigrants, natives, scribes, sorcerers, mercenaries, you name it. And the Queen (who is appointed by the Grandmothers Council only after intense behind the scenes stuggle between the clans) must try to reconcile all these groups and seek consensus.

Jeff