Re: Lightbringer Religion

From: Greg Stafford <Greg_at_z24PDSxbXkhbgAH9-q6cJQ_KyjKlGe1dDRi0e_vdSa1s10RpRj0BbnRCD_SB5XswC3E-sVa>
Date: Sat, 01 Sep 2007 16:49:03 -0700

YGWV
L.Castellucci wrote:

> Personally I think the "Lightbringers Religion" is pretty widespread.
> As part
> of the monomyth that transcends just Orlanthi thought, but also works in
> Pelorian myth, it had a solid base. Then you have the implication the
> Godlearners boosted it. I think it is around a bunch, often as a
> strain less
> focused on Orlanth.

The implication that the GL boosted it would be a mark AGAINST it for most places. Thee was widespread reaction to reject anything the GL had promoted.

> I think Erissa replaces Chalana Arroy in some versions. (Adding to the
> arguments about whether they are the same entity.)

Remember that you can replace the entities in stories, but the myths are not arbitrary.Errisa's identification with Chalana Arroy is strong (I believe them to be nearly if not entirely identical). So that would work in Peloria. But putting in Xentha (for instance) is a bigger reach and just would not work automatically.

> I think Lhankor Mhy is viewed as part of the Storm Tribe by alliance in
> heortling myth, but is not necessarily viewed that way elsewhere. Much
> the
> same for Issaries.

Myself, I do not know of other pantheons where they are as firmly embedded, although I would be glad to see discussion of such and I might be illuminated on that. but they cold be worshiped as "foreign gods" in many places, just for their darned usefulness.

> All to say I am more or less in agreement with you.

With caveats.

--Geg