Re: Trader Princes question

From: Toread DuDerysi <jakyer_at_Uuc8c3UpqZ9v8H3EWj8vrJ76duT93FaGiqcksjD_Mok5bEBieFjpgQvSlj5CnaRIQtqkS>
Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2007 14:21:41 -0000

Yes - but it also explains the appeal of the Church. In some ways its like the early Church adopting the local gods and spirits as saints. And as a side-note, the Ashara Church predates the Rokari by several centuries and thus the Trader Princes do not have Rokari roots but may be more likely some sort of ancestor to the Hedotheist Church. (this is my mistake on my part in the ms I did not catch)

> Yep. Except now the land trade is dying, and barbarian
confederations
> based on war are providing an alternative model. A tough time to
be a
> Trader Prince.

Or a brilliant time. Just as the boys and girls and newtlings working for the Illustrious And Not Quite Dead Yet Prince Yorge! This is how the Trader Princes tie in with the Hero Wars - new ways must be found to adapt or they will perish.

> Jubal Town amuses me to no end. The "free city" composed of
Ashurans
> who have rebelled against rule by the Houses - a political
revolution
> that makes absolutely no difference for most Wenelians.

Yes, I have a somewhat more extensive writeup of Jubal Town. It comes from some of Greg's earliest writings and the place does have a sort of "What Have The Trader PRinces Ever Done for Us?" feel to it.

> And this language is probably used in the rituals and ceremonies of
> the Ashuran Church.

I think Speak Safelstran in the keyword for both the Trader Princes and the Church. It probably should be speak Archaic Safelstran but I didn't feel like kicking a society when its down.

> I think people tend to overstate and overthink how folk reacted
> against the God Learners. For example, the greatest achievement of
> the God Learners was the Abiding Book - which is IIRC the core holy
> book of the Ashura Church. Same thing with Tradetalk - I think many
> communities kept knowledge of Tradetalk simply because it made it
> easier to speak with other communities that also knew Tradetalk.
The
> God Learners encouraged this, but I don't necessarily see it as
> something most people would identify with the God Learners.

The Abiding Book predates the God Learners by several centuries. Many churches still use it but have their own versions - the Rokari use the Sharp Abiding Book - which are expurgated and annotated to suit.

> Is that "The Man in the High Castle" by Philip K. Dick? Or did
Vance
> write a book with a similar title?

You know, I have no idea. I know there was a good Vance book with a similar name. I just moved so the bulk of my library is still in boxes. Many, many boxes.

> Hey, I think the Sundering of Slontos and the Eruption of the Vent
has
> a lot more to blame for it. Curse those Caladralanders and Zzaburi
> atheists!

Goddess Switch. Everyone knows that Wenela and Slontos are damaged goods now and just aren't the bountiful fruitful grain goddesses they used to be.

And then there's that poor Mr. Racoon fellow...

Jeff