Re: Trader Princes question

From: Jeff Richard <richaje_at_BE1uCC2_Zs-2lJINS7gbVmZiLbr8JGxxFo5VadEXnpNMTMlxo8u2JCHQP4MOqT5HXoT5>
Date: Thu, 06 Sep 2007 08:16:22 -0000

> Yes - but it also explains the appeal of the Church. In some ways its
> like the early Church adopting the local gods and spirits as saints.
> And as a side-note, the Ashara Church predates the Rokari by several
> centuries and thus the Trader Princes do not have Rokari roots but
> may be more likely some sort of ancestor to the Hedotheist Church.
> (this is my mistake on my part in the ms I did not catch)

Certainly. I just meant that literate Malkioni are likely to find the Rokari more theologically consistent than the Ashara church.

> Or a brilliant time. Just as the boys and girls and newtlings working
> for the Illustrious And Not Quite Dead Yet Prince Yorge! This is how
> the Trader Princes tie in with the Hero Wars - new ways must be found
> to adapt or they will perish.

It is the old curse - "May you live in interesting times!"

> Yes, I have a somewhat more extensive writeup of Jubal Town. It comes
> from some of Greg's earliest writings and the place does have a sort
> of "What Have The Trader PRinces Ever Done for Us?" feel to it.

I'd be interested in more information on Jubal Town. When our merchant-adventurers from Umathela tried to establish a trade line with Greymane (all that Esrolian plunder for sale cheap!!!), the Jubal Towners were a constant pain in our plans. Eventually we made our immense riches and returned to Umathela and founded a kingdom.

> I think Speak Safelstran in the keyword for both the Trader Princes
> and the Church. It probably should be speak Archaic Safelstran but I
> didn't feel like kicking a society when its down.

Archaic Safelstran it is. Several centuries out of date with all sorts of barbaric loanwords.

> > I think people tend to overstate and overthink how folk reacted
> > against the God Learners. For example, the greatest achievement of
> > the God Learners was the Abiding Book - which is IIRC the core holy
> > book of the Ashura Church. Same thing with Tradetalk - I think many
> > communities kept knowledge of Tradetalk simply because it made it
> > easier to speak with other communities that also knew Tradetalk.
> The
> > God Learners encouraged this, but I don't necessarily see it as
> > something most people would identify with the God Learners.
>
> The Abiding Book predates the God Learners by several centuries. Many
> churches still use it but have their own versions - the Rokari use
> the Sharp Abiding Book - which are expurgated and annotated to suit.

See, you are overthinking. The Jrusteli - synonomous with the God Learners - brought forth the Book. Now the actual God Learners collective was formed several centuries later, but most people in the Third Age don't make such precise distinctions.

The Sharp Abiding Book dates from the Middle Sea Empire - and is still used by the Rokari. BTW, for those who are unfamiliar with it, the Sharp Abiding Book is an abridged, abbreviated and intelligible version of the sacred Abiding Book. One can read it and readily understand it - it is straightforward and lends itself easily to a consistent and literal interpretation.

> You know, I have no idea. I know there was a good Vance book with a
> similar name. I just moved so the bulk of my library is still in
> boxes. Many, many boxes.

I know that feeling. Most of my library is still in the States.

> > Hey, I think the Sundering of Slontos and the Eruption of the Vent
> has
> > a lot more to blame for it. Curse those Caladralanders and Zzaburi
> > atheists!
>
> Goddess Switch. Everyone knows that Wenela and Slontos are damaged
> goods now and just aren't the bountiful fruitful grain goddesses they
> used to be.

OK, God Learners, Caladralanders, atheists. They all ruined Wenelia.

Jeff