Re: Odaylans amongst the Orlanthi

From: donald_at_HcZS0CL27PGxuUK7h0ZNdOPIdhn0dxbfgCOHf2SZG7DGwwHPmGDSBENbgB4Es97h7FgPW
Date: Thu, 06 Sep 2007 14:08:09 GMT

In message <fbopkg+ch5i_at_eGroups.com> "valkoharja" writes:
>[Donald]
>> Every Heortling marries. There are women who follow Odalya and
>> probably make the most suitable wives. Otherwise Ernalda adapts
>> to her situation and some women will accept a husband who only
>> makes an appearance a few times a year. It's no worse than a
>> marriage to a merchant seaman today. I don't think an Orlanthi
>> man could cope with an Odalyan wife.
>
>I agree with everything but the last centense. Why wouldn't a
>heortling (as I assume you mean) man be able to adjust to the
>cituation if a heortling woman could? Why would there be a
>disparity here?

Sexist cultural attitudes. Orlanth expects Ernalda to stay home and raise their children. Ernalda is used to Orlanth disappearing for a time and Odalya would be an extreme variation of that.

Also when a woman marries her postion is heavily dependant on how she fits in with the other women of her new clan. By definition an Odalyan woman isn't going to mix much if at all. She'd even give birth in the wilderness with only her husband to help! <Shock, horror reactions from all Ernaldans present>

I did mean Orlanthi rather than Heortling. I can imagine a follower of some cults such as Issaries or Donandar adjusting to an Odalyan wife.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/