Re: Odaylans amongst the Orlanthi

From: valkoharja <rintasaa_at_FVDnKvPT48Gmq-tU8ix2tVyytHxkosKmzApXSk83VmaMTZJEG2QAOpdujG2LDs98TrD>
Date: Thu, 06 Sep 2007 23:28:44 -0000

<snip>
> ...With their Bear-like myths, I see them holing up in a cave or
> similar place for the worst of the winter, sleeping heavily. Note
> that only a few of the Holy Days require the Odalyans to return to
> the community.

Wow, pretty extreme. I guess, as always, there will be variation from clan to clan, and depending on the initiation/devotion level.

I have a clan in my Glorantha where Odayla is the most important deity and a key part of their identity. I've seen this more as "bear worship" than such extreme loner behaviour.

But worship and myths vary, and parhaps the clan in question focuses on a son or daughter of Odayla, or on less known aspects of Odayla. I certainly have described the clan as having an unusual amount of really big, bearlike men (and presumably women).

The insular nature of Odayla could parhaps manifest in the clan not having as large steads as is usual (even for the chief), but rather a smattering of smaller ones based on families and bloodlines.

  -Adept