Re: Trader Princes question

From: Jeff Richard <richaje_at_R40wTe9yYj1r4O0RuynuLa2c_c6iCzwd-aMHxz8npmM_AQQljsWHn26ACQubAT7CoZWe>
Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2007 05:46:51 -0000

> For my two obols, the general, there was widespread, violent reaction
> against the God Learners and all they stood for.

Let me add a caveat: against all the God Learners and all they were blamed for.

> Multiple cataclysms
> descended upon people everywhere, and gods and spirits across the world
> urged their worshippers to destroy the blasphemers. GL influences were
> purged from the cultures (sometimes successfully, often with many
errors
> about what was or was not really GL).

That last sentence is key to me. My observation is people tend to overthink what was a GL influence. For Kralorelans, Tradetalk might have been seen to be a GL construct. For the Wenelians probably not given their long association with the Thelayans. For most people, Jrusteli and GLer is synonomous. However, for most Malkioni, the Abiding Book is not GL, even though it came from Jrusteli. And so on.

Where I think you see the biggest reaction againt the GLers is in myth, ritual and ceremony. If a holy man or a hero has a new revelation about the gods, that will smack of GLism to many. If somebody suggest that Tyloque is really Orlanth, that will smack of GLism. And so on.

> No, the Abiding Book preceded the God Learners, and there was a stream
> of protest from traditional Abiders against the atrocities and mutant
> interpretations that the GL applied to the AB.

Again, that is the perspective of a good Malkioni (although not a Loskalmi Irensavalist). However, for other folk, it is enough to say the Abiding Book comes from Jrustela to have it condemned as GL.

Jeff