Re: Rightarm Islanders

From: Nick Eden <nick_at_pwxHiCTuj4TrQJELO3YgrVg8p2w6TqXbJH7rhyYzN4nZsdzbMIBU1dTpRTlqJ8d4LUj1eLo>
Date: Sat, 08 Sep 2007 17:45:33 +0100

On Fri, 7 Sep 2007 18:16:02 -0700, you wrote:

>Jeff
>
>>I imagine the Rightarm Islanders are most valued as helmsmen. Unlike
>>most folk, these fisherman are familiar with the sea and how to move
>>in the water.
>
>Right, the Rightarmers are comfortable with boats in the first place,
>and know the rituals for appeasing various patches of water, etc.
>They know the local Ludoch. They can probably rescue a rower who
>falls overboard. Etc. I think there are plenty of reasons for wanting
>a Rightarmer on each watch -- the magical perhaps the most important.

I rather have the idea that the Rightarm Islanders come the 1620's are a bit lost. They've got these Triremes, which they maintain as a matter of ritual, but without the crew contributed from the other 5 parts of the Holy Country they haven't really got the manpower, or the full skill set to use them.

Already though there are Rightarm chieftains trying to outdo each other by constructing even more impressive, but pointless ships. A bit of an Easter Island thing going on there.