Re: Odaylans amongst the Orlanthi

From: David Dunham <david_at_Jik5kedNG0E5Yy3-3d22NqRZnnZUWL5qMMLVqQmvz8ZGX_KgTIWf1cqfoJK7_Afy1h6s17>
Date: Sat, 8 Sep 2007 16:29:08 -0700

Donald

>Why assume that an Odalyan is going to hunt large animals? I'd suggest
>the more typical practice is to hunt those animals which provide a few
>meals such as rabbits.

 From what I recall from anthropology classes, hunting large animals is exactly what members of hunting cultures do. I think Odaylans would too, for the same reason. Which is mostly prestige. If you come home with a wild boar, you have a LOT of meat to give out. This cements your place in the clan (obviously important for an Odaylan who is often absent), and puts people in your debt.

In practice, hunters can't always bring home big game, and probably do bring home a lot more rabbits than deer. But the Odaylan would be preparing himself with deer-hunting magic, and waiting by deer trails. The rabbits are a backup plan.

Bryan

>I meant that a devotee would not hunt large animals most of
>the time, since he/she could not make proper use of them.

Again, I disagree. You can always make proper use of them -- give them to your kin. (If your kin can't eat an entire moose, they can always give it to their clan.)

Ilkka

>In my campaign, set in northern highland Sartar/Far Place, hunting is
>very important, and the Odaylans thus have an important role for the
>whole Orlanthi society.

I would expect more group hunting, or a greater possibility that the hunter's kin is nearby, and converges on the kill to make use of it.

>I'm writing my campaign notes down. They will become available to the
>general public, in one form or another, sooner or (more likely) later. ;)

Excellent!

--

David Dunham