Re: Odaylans amongst the Orlanthi

From: donald_at_y4SRG6dcDGPU99re4L8rZGg5Dl27cSdmKauuEmzeo0x75eF7bE7mcgapVoKQ487Cq0_6d
Date: Sun, 09 Sep 2007 02:07:11 GMT

In message <p06240808c308dea22d9e_at_[10.0.1.94]> David Dunham writes:
>Donald
>
>>Why assume that an Odalyan is going to hunt large animals? I'd suggest
>>the more typical practice is to hunt those animals which provide a few
>>meals such as rabbits.
>
> From what I recall from anthropology classes, hunting large animals
>is exactly what members of hunting cultures do. I think Odaylans
>would too, for the same reason. Which is mostly prestige. If you come
>home with a wild boar, you have a LOT of meat to give out. This
>cements your place in the clan (obviously important for an Odaylan
>who is often absent), and puts people in your debt.
>
>In practice, hunters can't always bring home big game, and probably
>do bring home a lot more rabbits than deer. But the Odaylan would be
>preparing himself with deer-hunting magic, and waiting by deer
>trails. The rabbits are a backup plan.

That's assuming they are returning "home" after the hunt. Since Odalyans often don't contact their clan for a season or more large kills are usually going to go to waste. I'm not arguing that on the rare occassions when they are near enough to bring a large kill home they don't. Or even that they don't make a kill and then bring a party from the nearest stead to collect it.

They get status from bringing back furs and hides from animals which don't range near enough to the steads for Ormalayans to catch. Even then it's most likely to be many small animals and birds rather than a few large ones.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/