Re: Greetings

From: Evan Franke <justice94510_at_id4oO3MtteYnLLV0lqnAVCR7LPWJr1C76N9FXI2uNLD-4zPw-UDJVEUGFWmOV_N>
Date: Sun, 09 Sep 2007 21:06:47 -0000

> Welcome!
>
> I introduced a couple of my nieces and nephews to HeroQuest. I
> stripped the rules way down (no magic system, only one augment, no
> skills within keywords, only simple contests) so we could get started
> quickly. This would probably work well for younger players even if
> you did have more time to explain things.
>
> I'd also use HeroQuest because it encourages their overall
> creativity, rather than the within-rules problem-solving that
> RuneQuest fosters.
> --

David,

Thanks for the warm words and advice. Of course my memories are very fond of RQ2/3, regardless of the min-maxing and rules jockying it fostered from time to time. Ran some very bad games in high school, and some significantly better River of Cradles (Borderlands) and Balazar stories in college. Still, I do think the rules, from what I have observed without buying any books yet, in HQ offer a lot more creativity and narrative freedom, without as much emphasis on die rolls and numbers. I am currently partial, in a theoretical way, to the FATE system put out by the EvilHat guys (who, by happenstance, happen to leave an hour's drive or so away from me). I say theoretical, as I have not had the time or opportunity to play much of any RPG systems in the last ten years, but I have been reading and participating on their list on yahoo groups for a while. It also is a very narrative open system, and the focus is on narrative, creativity and fun. Will have to see what HQ has to offer that is similar and different. Could use either or both eventually.

Still, have to say I am intrigued, at least setting wise, by the whole Second Age relaunch of RQ, even if the system is just a tune up of the old ones.

Still, this is long-term planning. My son is a HeroScape fanatic right now, but from that to HeroQuest may not be that big of a leap.

The key thing is, of course, this shared/directed world of Glorantha. My son in particular devours mythology and history, and to have a game where he gets to devour game mythology and history and then use it in play would probably right up his alley.

Again, thanks for the welcome. It is good to be back and see that things have been moving along since I picked up stakes, stopped reading the old mailing list, etc.

Regards,

Evan Franke