Re: Hunting Economics (Re: Odaylans amongst the Orlanthi)

From: Andrew Solovay <asolovay_at_KJ7n8GtIAxdg-BJ1nSrl8HYRWANSkdegdMiUMtj6DlBX7p87-qz4P8I6asjn3Tfj0rr>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2007 18:29:21 +0000 (UTC)

donald_at_4vqVtKaMPt7I4XaeHf5hu1wv1f20w2dqpGvNw-3KCyYmXYt9AMBzbGIXfRlU1_7wGEa8JJ5KlLN2OgqpvqsZ4COq.yahoo.invalid:

>I'd got the impression that the Grazelands weren't anything like
>as densely populated as Sartar. The main Grazelander occupations
>are warrior and hunter so I'd expect some large herds of animals
>for them to hunt. Given the small size of the area the grazelanders
>may have developed techniques for managing the herd population
>rather than just killing. If so a cause of disputes between them
>and nearby Sartarite clans will be who is entitled to hunt where.

As I understand it, the Grazelander economy is mainly based on farming. It's just that the farming is all done by Orlanthi serfs, not by "Grazelanders" proper. So most of the Grazelander food comes from farming and herding, not hunting--but if you look at the keywords for any actual Grazelander (as in "snotty animist warrior-prince on a yellow-eyed horse" Grazelander, not just "guy who lives in the Grazelands" Grazelander), you'll only see hunting skills, not farming ones.

By rough analogy--If you looked at the skills of an English aristocrat of the late 19th century, you'd likely find that he knew a lot more about hunting rabbits and pheasants than he did about growing wheat. But you'd be mistaken if you thought that meant he ate more wild game than bread.