Hunting Economics (Re: Odaylans amongst the Orlanthi)

From: Simon Phipp <soltakss_at_0BxNUOWKMg-HHTPvDhUxCw7PE0ZqkrwI60avJaH9RgkCWBfxbTcqHk6sTTsWmIkynK_>
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2007 19:41:53 -0000

Andrew Solovay:
> donald_at_...:
> >
> >I'd got the impression that the Grazelands weren't anything like
> >as densely populated as Sartar. The main Grazelander occupations
> >are warrior and hunter so I'd expect some large herds of animals
> >for them to hunt. Given the small size of the area the grazelanders
> >may have developed techniques for managing the herd population
> >rather than just killing. If so a cause of disputes between them
> >and nearby Sartarite clans will be who is entitled to hunt where.
>
> As I understand it, the Grazelander economy is mainly based on
> farming. It's just that the farming is all done by Orlanthi serfs,
not
> by "Grazelanders" proper. So most of the Grazelander food comes
from
> farming and herding, not hunting--but if you look at the keywords
for
> any actual Grazelander (as in "snotty animist warrior-prince on a
> yellow-eyed horse" Grazelander, not just "guy who lives in the
> Grazelands" Grazelander), you'll only see hunting skills, not
farming
> ones.

One of the things that someone said about the Grazers has always stuck in my mind, although I can't remember who. Grazers do not farm as farming is for groundsmen or Vendref. Instead, small bands of Grazers will ride to a Vendref farm where the peasants will leave out a herd of cattle, sheep or pigs, and tghe Grazers will raid the herd, taking off what they require, or they will hunt the cattle that have wandered off. Similarly, if they want grain, bread or whatever else the Vendref produce, they will raid for it, bravely stealing the goods from the carefully laid out tables.

That way, they can still be noble raiders and hunters and not sully themselvs with farming.

I don't know how true it is, but I always liked it and use it in my games.

See Ya

Simon