Re: Lightbringer Religion

From: L.Castellucci <lightcastle_at_XuwQ4YjYkTJv8y7GL4cvpgQB6w6btcauWpQo62VUWNVPFdXF3pIqIKGO6xa8drq3>
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2007 18:49:35 -0400

On September 1, 2007 07:49 pm, Greg Stafford wrote:

> The implication that the GL boosted it would be a mark AGAINST it for
> most places. Thee was widespread reaction to reject anything the GL had
> promoted.

yes. But as mentioned, what people decided was really "God Learner" varied a lot. I also think that much of the LB story/religion was spread by the First Council and the like. It seems a bit more pan-Theleyan than lots of things.

> > I think Erissa replaces Chalana Arroy in some versions. (Adding to the
> > arguments about whether they are the same entity.)
>
> Remember that you can replace the entities in stories, but the myths are
> not arbitrary.Errisa's identification with Chalana Arroy is strong (I
> believe them to be nearly if not entirely identical). So that would work
> in Peloria. But putting in Xentha (for instance) is a bigger reach and
> just would not work automatically.

*nod* Oh, I agree. It's not an arbitrary replacement. I don't think that works. But there are some vague bits even in what we already know of the LBQ. Ginna Jar, for instance. Flesh Man seems to be somewhat variable I would think.

> > I think Lhankor Mhy is viewed as part of the Storm Tribe by alliance in
> > heortling myth, but is not necessarily viewed that way elsewhere. Much
> > the
> > same for Issaries.
>
> Myself, I do not know of other pantheons where they are as firmly
> embedded, although I would be glad to see discussion of such and I might
> be illuminated on that. but they cold be worshiped as "foreign gods" in
> many places, just for their darned usefulness.

Exactly. I think they are probably more firmly embedded in the Storm Tribe areas compared to anyone else, but do show up in lots of places. This despite the GL pushing them (especially LM). Lokarnos really doesn't seem to fulfill many of Issaries' functions. Same with Buserian and LM. They are around, if less prominent, in my eyes.

> > All to say I am more or less in agreement with you.
>
> With caveats.

Always. :)

LC