Re: Lightbringer Religion

From: L.Castellucci <lightcastle_at_uDHLVlAlo8xYixFTPsGaITlHH6P2xARXa19xsljdXrkZrJJR2vrJ4TwItX1Q3W-c>
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2007 00:21:49 -0400

On September 13, 2007 11:35 pm, Greg Stafford wrote:
> Ygwv

But of course.

> Also, I am not convinced hat the GL actually spread the LB story far and
> wide as "their own." They had a monomyth, for certain; but I do not
> think that the LB was anything more than a part of it.

That was my theory, too.

This is interesting. I've often thought of "The Monomyth" as a largely GL construct. But considering the God Learners didn't quite pierce deep into Peloria (as it was EWF territory), a lot of the Monomyth parts concerning Yelm being the Evil Emporer and Orlanth being Rebellus Terminus (or whatever that name is - I have forgotten) probably predate it by quite a bit. (That the LBQ is first done as an HQ in Arkat's day also means it was pretty solid in at least the DP pass beforehand.)

> >I also think that much of the LB story/religion was spread by the First
> > Council and the like. It seems a bit more pan-Theleyan than lots of
>
> things.
> This is absolutely correct. In the Dawn Age the Theyalans spread it (and
> it stuck) through southern Peloria, Maniria and Slontos, most of Ralios,
> and south-western Fronela.

This makes perfect sense to me.

> > *nod* Oh, I agree. It's not an arbitrary replacement.
>
> Certainly not with Chalana Arroy and Errisa, who I think are more likely
> to be one entity than two.
>
> >I don't think that
> > works. But there are some vague bits even in what we already know of
>
> the LBQ.
>
> > Ginna Jar, for instance. Flesh Man seems to be somewhat variable I would
> > think.
>
> Ginna Jar is, of course, the wyter of the group.

Of course? Really? I don't think I knew that as a certainty. (And it also leads to the question of what, exactly is a wyter to gods.)

> Flesh Man is not
> precisely a cipher to be filled in as desired, but a mortal being, whose
> spot can be filled by just about any mortal being.

Right. I actually thought I wrote that as a speculation. It seems I didn't though. Must have been sleepy. Thanks for clarifying that, though.

> They are both members of the Storm Tribe. But as you seem to be
> implying, they can also be worshipped separately. And they are.

*nod*

> And the GL just never got that close to the Pelorians to get a handle
> on them.
>
> --Greg

That's something I've noticed from looking at some of the Mongoose stuff. It seems an obvious thing, but it had never really registered with me.

LC