Re: Rightarm Islands - a word about the ships

From: valkoharja <rintasaa_at_bgqwPpPBb4k4dN3exlaZO7dE3ZTs98EAW7CbHPMQtTWuUQru3v692yX2dQ6k_YxIYAM>
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2007 17:02:11 -0000

You give the impression that you consider the triremes a quaint relic since you cite inspiration from things like eight to eleventh century AD.

Personally I'm exasperated by the anachronisms in some parts of published glorantha, where triremes are found side by side with medieval sailing craft and even things approaching the pirate era galleons.

I love the idea that sailing ships in Glorantha are bronze age / early iron age in style and inspiration. Biremes and Triremes are much more atmospheric, that having Glorantha be just another fantasy setting where large, late era, sailing vessels rule the waves.

One can argue how ships of that era didn't fare all that well on the high seas, but they still enabled the classical world to conduct business all over the known world. I have absolutely no problem with the journey from Genertela to Pamaltela being perilous. It should be! As for the Middle Sea Empire of the Godlearners, they had all the magic in the world. You don't need late period sailing vessels when you can bend the sea and wind to your will.

  -Adept