Re: Rightarm Islanders (long)

From: Jeff Richard <richaje_at_OXcfDbBr7C-O6W67M3RSGhTZ4HgMTWXQtq9YQ04WRljjuDNPLJl1oZMvA6iUimwZbI_G>
Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2007 15:58:30 -0000

> Or, storm magic. Galleys normally just stay ashore in bad weather,
> but with magic that bad weather could blow up very quickly. In high
> waves and winds some galleys will simply be lost to weather, and the
> others will have a hard time forming up or achieving effective ramming
> speed. In those condition the pirates--with good speed if they are
> coming with the wind, may well be able to get in between the galleys,
> and board (or use magic to finish off floundering galleys).

This is a key point. Normally, Belintar can likely grant favorable weather in the seas around Kethaela, but in 1616, Belintar was missing. And the Yggs Islanders do worship a storm god whose most popular manifestation is a sea storm.

> I think a very rough equivalent was the 'frankish' heavy cavalry of
> medieval times, considered absolutely unstoppable if they were able to
> line you and get organized, but not nearly as effective when they
> could not use their charge. I think a lot of the same tactical and
> strategic considerations would apply. In other words, it is not that
> the Wolf Pirates could always beat a trireme fleet, but that in that
> battle they caught the fleet in unfavorable conditions, and the Holy
> Country fleet was not prepared for the type of battle that resulted.

Exactly. In calm waters, the Holy Country fleet would decimate the Wolf Pirates - but not in a storm. In a storm, the triremes are useless and easily capsized. However, near the Poison Shores there was nowhere to beach the ships. As the account of the Evil Year reads:

"The grand fleet of Admiral Chizokar passed through the Troll Gate and into the Solkathi Sea. Off the Poison Shore, came word that the Wolf Pirates could be seen but then a cold sea storm came out of nowhere. Without the blessings of Belintar, the galleys had great difficulty managing such bad weather. However, Admiral Chizokar dared not beach the fleet - since the jagged cliffs, dangerous surf and isolated beaches would likely destroy much of the fleet.

Such weather was a delight to the Wolf Pirates, whose longships were built for rough seas. The sea was too rough for our galleys to ram the Wolf Pirates, and the deck too unsteady for our archers. However, the seas were not too rough for the Wolf Pirates to row up to our ships and board. Fierce hand-to-hand fighting commenced as the Wolf Pirates climbed aboard our galleys with sword and shield. Our marines fought bravely, but they were too few and the Wolf Pirates too many!"

Jeff