Re: Rightarm Islands - a word about the ships

From: Greg Stafford <Greg_at_x2KfNt3qUbAGJYV6u1cr6Ej3AbgJRddnnYGZhz6Nk5yY4P09uVlfmuTelV-b3Umtf3kRcqM>
Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2007 12:04:19 -0700

YGWV donald_at_q1bULARORtxp9KLVLwwM6bssnZxow-Ig3bDOoD3UsdGyRiFnSe1guiFPrrfWtqHfz4g7461eoTsiW-nwVhTGpZWvEQ.yahoo.invalid wrote:

In message <fceeqj+ifhf_at_eGroups.com
<mailto:fceeqj%2Bifhf%40eGroups.com>> "valkoharja" writes:
> Throughout that same time span there appear various deep draught
> ships travelling along the Atlantic and North Sea coasts just as
> the Chinese had huge sailing junks trading along their coast
> and round India as far as East Africa.

And likely, the west coast of N. America. But please, let us not start a thread on that. Let's keep to Glorantha. My point is though, that even the giant junks are the fat round ships.

> I don't know where you get the idea of pirate galleons in Glorantha
> from. I haven't seen anything remotely resembling them because
> that design is based on cannon rather than ramming.

Thank you for that confirmation!

>The wolf pirates
> are similar to vikings or the pirates the Roman navy was repeatedly
> fighting.

Correct, though many of them also have knorrs or various sizes of he dearly beloved fat round ships.

> About the only ships which don't fit into either the ramming type
> or the boarding type are the Haragala tall ships which have no RW
> analogue.

Oh, let us not forget the Kralorelan flat ships, which sometimes have zombie cfrews to row them!

>Rumours of a Mostali steam ironclad with cannon haven't
> appeared in any official source.

I think that the Mostali might have many technologies that are not known to the surface (like cannons and steam drives). But let me confirm that, when they perform their great deed to raise their lands a fleet of ferrocement ships, powered by dinosaurs on flywheels, will appear.

--GS