Re: Rightarm Islands - a word about the ships

From: David Dunham <david_at_RFAU3SH_NhHpE9ZQFuy-ONWF6r7M1QjkUXFucKw0UeKUKqxmPccO-3CcrNZlm0oe5dMSXC>
Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2007 11:01:05 -0700

Joerg

>When the Jrusteli build their wooden ships, they
>use sailing ships that sound like adaptations of Artmali design.
>
>This means masts with more than a single sail, and rigging.

I'm not sure what time period you're talking about, but IMO Jrustela started out with something that looked like a Phoenician ship, with a single sail that could be brailed. (See Dario's illustration at <http://www.glorantha.com/greg/seshnelanKings2.html> -- this isn't necessarily Gloranthan canon, but it is what I'm describing.)

In my game, the quintessential Artmali ship is sort of Polynesian: "huge carved logs with sails and oars." [Revealed Mythologies p.37] The voyaging canoe at <http://www.francispimmel.com/> seems plausible (though of course it would be blue).

--

David Dunham