Re: Rightarm Islands - a word about the ships

From: donald_at_959x0gK8wCNPkzYuMDqpf0F0lHkdJpBBpcd5ROcp-eLmc36yUVE9sgRmJQzhRLKivC6R8
Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2007 17:54:05 GMT

In message <fcgpvo+va9l_at_eGroups.com> "valkoharja" writes:

>I was referring to earlier discussions on how gamers expect square
>rigged ships and sailors climbing masts instead of oar powered ships,
>and hence Gloranthan sailing has to reflect such expectations. I think
>this was discussed a lot when Men of the Sea was in the works, and
>when it was published.

Square rigging is the original form of sail. Used by galleys and merchant ships everywhere since prehistory. Lanteen and fore-and- aft rigging are subsequent developments to improve performance when the wind isn't right behind the ship.

The elaborate multi-sail rigs of the renaissance and later may be expected by some gamers but don't appear in MotS and would be a serious anachronism if they did. And it's only those that require sailors to climb masts, a single sail can be handled from the deck.

However if someone wishes their Glorantha to have such ships then it's up to them.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/