Re: Rightarm Islands - a word about the ships

From: Toread DuDerysi <jakyer_at_hULWCq60fzuUhCZS3p1XfgCC6GmhOAan3rY-ectphdX0xANhZOYrxkasm8t_L5B5-RfR_>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2007 15:45:26 -0000

> > Shipbuilding - the real reason there's no new elf forests!
>
> By this logic, elf forests were expanding in coastal regions during
> the Closing... There are some other factors, I would suggest. ;)

Shipbuilding is only a minor factor. Metalworking and charcoalling are more important. "The Furnace vs The Goat" is an interesting paper by Wertine that formed some of the underlying asumptions of my thesis.

> Wenelia's Newcoast probably has much to offer to enterprising
> shipwrights, but will involve much adventure and diplomacy to
provide
> the optimal material.

Yes. Its covered in "Blood over Gold." =)

> Handra is fortunate to sit in the middle of a

Giant swamp

> and to have a
> river leading up into more forested lands.

The heavily forested regions are a ways upstream. Handra has good shipbuilding and access to naval stores but its not great. Their power derives more from their economic advantage as the interface between Ralian and sea-borne trade.

> downriver trade travels on rafts, too. No idea where exactly the
> Handran shipwrights get their timber - neither Pralorela nor
Tarinwood

The hills to either side are fine. Remember most of the area is forested. I'd avoid dragonewt hills further to the east though.

> Safelster has two major and several minor rivers for rafting in
timber
> to the lake cities. With rather small (but nonetheless proud)
navies I
> don't see a major deforestation threat there.

As I said, metalworking and charcoaling would be a greater concern. And once its deforested, pastoralism (while not capable of deforesting an area) keeps it deforested.

Jeff