Re: Leagues and associations membership

From: Greg Stafford <Greg_at_kdCB3eOnFYp2tPfnWSBvAwXVX9BaTRhyFOIozrsa9x9eS0gG_5GSoRn2zoKbbcrJK_svrZD>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2007 12:41:15 -0700

YGWV
>Leagues were introduced in ILH-1. Unfortunately they aren't in the
>
> The Dara Happa homeland (p18-19) describes the older Solar version of
> Associations and Leagues. There, a League is a group of families who
> work together - not in the sense of doing the same thing, but in the
> sense of cooperating in a common venture. You might have families
> working as grain farmers, carters, millers and others all in one
> League. So Leagues generally encompass a number of occupations.

Yes, although those families work together towards a common end. Thus you will have league that include farmers, merchants and transportation; but it is extremely unlikely to have a league that includes farmers, assassins and scribes, for instance.

> Leagues can and do change Associations, so they are not entirely
> subject to the commands of the Association leadership.

Yes, although of course tradition and practicality have a certain stabilizing effect upon these.

> The chapter on Associations (p61-66) gives some more information on
> the Lunar version. Little is said directly about Leagues and much of
> it is given over to the example Association (the Seeburn).
>
> Using the description of the Seeburn as a guide we can tell that the
> component Leagues of the Immanent Action Liberation are indeed the
> numbered groups. The other groups are either components (subgroups
> within a League) or associated groups.

Correct.

> Hopefully Mark can come up with the numbers. But my impression is
> that Leagues can have hundreds of members and Associations can have
> thousands if you count the members of the Leagues.

You mean numbers of people? If so, then yes, leagues have several hundred members, and associations can have several thousand.

--Greg