Re: Rightarm Islanders (long)

From: valkoharja <rintasaa_at_y7qKjqEGEdjFNheq8aYGTYMZVgpTkh2W1O5pcm6xpom8qjm-U7cZh0mdb6nF8FN5a9u>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2007 20:58:01 -0000

> "jorganos" <joe_at_...> writes:
>
> Attacking the hull requires a lot of skill, and is little use
> against ships heavier than a trireme, so attacking the oars became
> more prevelant after the decline of professional navies and the rise
> of Rome.

Personally I've always found the feat of shearing away an opponent's oars with a well timed close side-by-side pass (remember to bring up your own oars at the last moment!) to be a great feat of skill and cunning.

You achieve a mission kill without damaging your own ship at all, and with no need for boarding action. In comparison, ramming the opponent's hull sounds like a much riskier proposition.

Those classical sea battles must have been quite a sight to see. Utterly terrifying and brutal as well of course, but it sounds like a thing that heroic player characters should have a chanse to experience!

  -Adept