Re: Loose ends (*WARNING BoG spoiler alert*)

From: bryan_thx <bethexton_at_RpIsdPRdHT0mlBwhi76_ZzNOC1CxQOusDT1cu0c0yEoEW9fjg7b3zz14Q5QPi2s-Pt>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2007 21:01:18 -0000

> the sentence I was referring to (emphasis mine), was,
>
> "This amount is doubled if the heroes recommend using Ilnyapas�
> methods to _locate_ truffles."
>
> which is followed by,
>
> "If they recommend continuing the human sacrifices as well, the
> increase triples",
>
> This implies that Ilnyapas had a method of finding the truffles
> separate from the human sacrifice needed to increase yeald & that is
> what I was asking about. Anyway it doesn't matter and I shan't bother
> you with any further questions.
>
> Dougie.

Dougie;

I was involved in the origins of that adventure. I have not yet read the final published version, but I can give this general advice based on the original concept.

The local Wenelians leave the red truffles to shamans. The red truffles are weird and dangerous stuff, aka shaman business. The shamans will be willing to sell some, but only when they get around to it, have more than they think they need, and want something from the Trader Princes. The other locals might pressure them to obtain some more, so there should be a trickle if you just trade for them.

Ilnyapas Sangfroy, the nervous 'magician' found some magical feat, talent, or whatever that helped him find these things. There are probably various bits of magic that would do the job, especially once you know a bit about them. Magic detection, super keen sense of smell, detect hell, those should all work. The real point here is finding a method that makes it possible to find the existing truffles, and to go out in the woods and dig them up. That will bring them in faster than just waiting for the locals to bring them in. Just remember to pack your demon repellent when you go into the woods....

The third method I think is more clear. Fertilize appropriately, then dig up a year or so later. Of course what little is left of your soul won't much amuse the demons that receive it--unless they use extreme measures. But hey, that is the afterlife and a long way off :-)

Again, just my take on it, from early conversations. Not official, not based on having read the adventure as published, etc.

--Bryan