Re: Ideas for game - travelling through Heortland in the summer of 1600ST

From: donald_at_6KSP0MH86_OTVwyV7uz8N5ybulWWodkZcyrIh3_DZvQ7CVMWDi8o9qgYy4hJMLApBqwsd
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2007 12:22:15 GMT

In message <fd82go+dhoh_at_eGroups.com> "valkoharja" writes:

>I'm also not quite clear on how the succession happens in Sartar.
>Apparently one has to be of the dynasty (bloodline?) of Sartar, but
>there obviously isn't a line of succession like in an european
>monarchy. I wonder if the closest analogue wouldn't be how the heads
>of Orlanthi bloodlines are chosen. The stead of that bloodline just
>happens to be the whole of Boldhome, and the traditional authority is
>that of the Warlord of Sartar.

There's a full list of princes in KoS - all six of them in maybe four generations. Assuming ten children who each produce ten children, etc. the forth generation could have as many as 10,000. It's probably nothing like that figure, maybe about a thousand. Several of the actual princes seem to have been selected at birth so it's probably very similar to how the European monarchies selected the next ruler in the medieval period - oldest politically acceptable son then brothers etc. Politically unacceptable heirs disappearing either voluntarily or compulsorily.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/