Re: Holayan resources?

From: Paul King <paul_at_ookaKt5T9TGXZomxPVhWGESjS-nXHmSf6QHwFDiH8pXVlbIeXEiGFWXSHaWED_BxEDyeOFQ>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2007 19:01:27 +0100

On 24 Sep 2007, at 09:29, John Machin wrote:

> How would the people of Holay name their gods?
>
> I expect that given the matriarchal theme it has, there would be a lot
> of what the Orlanthi would call "earth worship" there; would the
> Holayans use Orlanthi/Alakoringite names or Solar-influenced ones?
> (The Queen from Life of the Moonson has Oria as her religion).

I've been looking a bit more into the question. Some of the material I've found is old and unofficial and therefore especially liable to be "Gregged". Other parts are speculative.

Holay will be important in the Great Argrath Campaign, but that won't be published in time :-(

Holay is part of Saird. The Queens of Holay are seen as incarnations of their goddess, the Red Woman, Holaya.

Saird was settled by Dara Happans in the Second Age and then conquered by Orlanthi. From unofficial sources it seems to me that there was a Dara Happan influence from before Time but local gods and goddesses are still worshipped.
(see http://www.glorantha.com/greg/q-and-a/emperorDragons.html for late Second Age kings)

Sairdites are "dog people" so don't expect Yinkin to be worshipped. Some of the Dog-fathers - http://www.glorantha.com/greg/q-and-a/ dogGods.html will be.

"Distorted" versions of Solar and Orlanthi Gods appear in Imther (according to the New Lolon Gospels), but Holay is likely to include some worship of both - perhaps closer to the "originals" (Imther is something of a backwater). But not Orlanth, of course.

Tunoral (the racoon-god), his spouse Negalla and Jajagappa are likely to be worshipped although I suspect that they are less commonly worshipped in Holay than in Vanch. Lunar worship is likely to be more common than elsewhere in the Provinces and Hwarin Dalthippa may have more adherents there than anywhere else outside Sylila.

Reladiva is the land-goddess, probably worshipped in place or Ernalda.

The river-folk will worship river Gods (especially the Black Eel) and maybe Nogatend, the Loon-god (can't find much on him, so he may be Gregged).