Re: Holayan resources?

From: Paul King <paul_at_U6buwwiqLFx9iZWYAMTSY0xo0ow8VnbUfp01KBcilIopJSsTytqJKABKfTHHnmxyfW70f0->
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2007 19:14:10 +0100

On 25 Sep 2007, at 01:56, John Machin wrote:

> Is Holaya a solely local phenomenon? I am trying to see if any of the
> magical keywords I have already (ie the Ernalda the Queen aspects)
> will work, or whether I can get some ideas for the themes of a new
> keyword.

Speculation time here. We have a few facts - the name itself, the fact that some Orlanthi identify Holaya with Vinga and one or two other bits and pieces. The fact that "Holaya" is so near "Holay" strongly suggests to me that she only receives significant worship within Holay, at least under that name.

Holaya may well be a founder of the Queendom - in the same way that Sartar and Pavis founded their namesakes. I'd guess that the current Queendom dates from the aftermath of the Dragonkill when Saird lost a lot of its men. However that might be a revival of past beliefs rather than the original founding - I just have no information there.

The relationship between Holaya and Holay also reminds me of the relationship between Lesilla and Mernita.

The Vingan Red Woman cult doesn't seem suitable for a Queen - Vinga Dar might work, though. But there is probably some Lunar influence, too.