Re: Ideas for game - travelling through Heortland in the summer of 1

From: Ian Cooper <ian_hammond_cooper_at_0F1HUwf2a5l6bH9jlOmXVw6NVsXW_E040BWI-28RtfEufQGdnVQI73QHc>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2007 20:44:02 +0000 (GMT)

Hi guys,

Here are some things that may help:

  1. For clarity: the leader of Sartar is a prince not a king. Where they are kings the title is from them being King of Dragon Pass, a sacred position obtained by marrying the ruling land goddess. Prince means first.
  2. The prince is supported by a ring, called the Iron Ring.
  3. The inaugaration has ritual elements: regalia, lighting the flame. Like all rituals some elements may help it to succeed better; others may be mandatory.
  4. Heortling chieftains and some kings can be: elected with Dar rites (TR, p.231 ). Kings can be elected with the Rex rites as well (TR.p245). A High King, a ruler over the tribes, is always appointed by the tribal kings, and uses the Vingkotling rites (TR, p.231). The Vingkotling rites are dynastic i.e. you create a dynasty, but it is not explicit if primogeniture is involved
  5. Yarandros the charger, founded the first Tarshite dynasty ruling 'in Vingkot's way'. Being 'of the blood' is how the Lunar Empire took control of Tarsh - through marriage. Other contenders did exist, the Exiles leaders, which presumably indicates the need to be 'of the blood' but not 'firstborn'. I suspect that there may be, as always, differences of opinion as to who qualifies, the rebels say their leaders do, the incumbents say they don't. Proof of claims to thrones, in our world, has often been conflicting.
  6. Tribal kings elected without regalia are Dar kings(HotHP, p.69) though don't confuse this with the Dar rites themselves.

I would suspect that this implies that the Prince was appointed by the tribal kings, so rules in Vingkot's way, and as such is dynastic, but that the blood is the requirement not order of birth, or even closeness to the last incumbent. I also suspect that you might be able to be a Dar Prince i.e. elected but without the appropriate ritual elements, but you would want the legitimacy of the full rite.

Ian Cooper