Re: Second Age Elder Race information coming out

From: Nick Eden <nick_at_An2ioOg1KeXwi_Os_9OlcZvzFRzaTStxsPhka5g3iw1kfsIv39bcAMpgqTXsKZTOu8KITZz>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2007 22:53:34 +0100

On Tue, 18 Sep 2007 15:04:30 GMT, you wrote:

>In message <fco9fj+2gre_at_eGroups.com> "Evan Franke" writes:
>
>>Having decided to get back to Glorantha, at least by stages, I find I
>>have come at a very interesting time. Now, I know that most of the
>>folks on this list seem mostly oriented to Third Age/HeroQuest play
>>(from my skimming of the last several hundred messages, so my bad if
>>I have mischaracterized things), but with MRQ it would appear that
>>there are sources coming out on issues never before covered. Now, I
>>have been loaned a couple of the books and am making my way through
>>(Glorantha Second Age and Magic of Glorantha), but I see that
>>Mongoose has an entirely ambitious publishing schedule, already has
>>an Uz book out, and is doing Dragonewts and Aldryami in the next few
>>months.
>
>[snip]
>
>>So, even though this is 2d age related information, it would seem to
>>be potentially rich material for any Age game, and, it does have the
>>added bonus of being available in glossy print.
>>
>>What do you all know or think about it?
>
>There's some good stuff in some of the Mongoose publications but others
>are so RQ slanted as to contain little that hasn't been published
>elsewhere cheaper. While they have an ambitious publishing schedule the
>actual content is probably lower than the Moon Design one for HQ. By
>going for hardbacks and heavy glossy paper the 96 page Vol. 1 of Cults
>costs about the same as the 112 page Under the Red Moon. The latter has
>descriptions of about twice as many cults and an index with the difference
>being made up of excessively wide margins and the rules for various spells.

Cults 1 did strike me as particularly weak, since it turned out that almost all the cults we've heard of are almost exactly the same in the 3rd age and the 2nd age.

Magic Of was rather better.

>There's absolutely no reason not to play HQ in the 2nd Age or RQ
>in the 3rd if that's what you want to do. I agree there's a tendency
>on this list to prefer HQ because many of us feel it is a closer
>model of Glorantha but that's not intended to exclude alternatives.

Also I think a lot of the MRQ players stick to web forums on the Mongoose web site. Which is a pity really. I think the insights into the 2nd age would spice things up a bit.