Re: Flame of Sartar, reign of a King of Dragon Pass

From: jorganos <joe_at_Pvsny4qLE2EBRZVZP1tn9-_dz3MTrF-vkBQg5WDP_NGmtNUBdRUTemR0b3UEdGZ2JKJtb4Lm>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2007 12:38:08 -0000

Adept
>> I disagree with the "lighting the flame" bit.

Jeff
> I think Ian is right. The Flame of Sartar is the physical
> manifestation of Sartar. Without the Flame, Sartar cannot bless the
> candidate - or the kingdom. Without the Flame, there is no magical
> wyter for the kingdom, thus no kingdom.

I don't think that Adept disagreed with the flame being important. But his game is set before the conquest, and there is no indication that anybody had to relight the flame before. Salinarg faced dire omens, but none so dire as the flame threatening to go out.

> Since the Lunars extinguished the Flame,
> a prospective candidate must now relight the Flame in order
> to become Prince.

Since in the temporal sense, yes, and only until it gets relit. We know about Kallyr and Temertain attempting to get it lit (Kallyr in or before 1613, Temertain in 1613 or 1614 after the Rebellion, and again Kallyr in 1627 with Argrath - returning from Sword Hill - watching).