Re: Ideas for game - travelling through Heortland in the summer of 1600ST

From: Jeff Richard <richaje_at_FdeRfbX8PwPQhnEsFR1Su7lFQFAv8u6PjfYbye3kL8U8K_G8Fz0b-u5H3bObeikEkOKn>
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2007 05:40:38 -0000

> There are only three bodies other than the cities which are higher
> level than tribe. The Volsaxi Confederation, the Aldachuri Overtribe
> and the Principality of Sartar. I'd suggest that each has been created
> by a different hero in a different way and has it's own myths and ring
> of advisors. It's probable that the Volsaxi Confederation follows the
> Vingkoti myths and structure.

Folk, I strongly recommend that you read the History of the Heortling Peoples to get a feeling for Orlanthi kingship. Greg and I even included a section on types of kingship.

Lots of Orlanthi kingdoms have included several tribes - the Hendriking were a tribe that also had "subject" or "foreigner" tribes that acknowledged the Hendriking King (this was the Foreigner Laws of Aventus). Frex, a tribe might have its own Alakoringite king, but that tribal king might acknowledge the Hendriking king as his own lord. This is pretty common in Heortling history.

The Volsaxing are not Vingkotling in style or inspiration. Their kings are not normally hereditary, but sometimes powerful bloodlines capture the kingship for a generation or two. That's usually politics, not magic.

Sartar on the other hand was something special. His bloodline is magical - like Vingkot's - because Sartar proved to have a connection with Orlanth unlike most heroes. His immolation and apotheosis proved him divine and passed on his magic to his bloodline. This is not normal for Orlanthi tribe-makers! I can think of only a half-dozen or so Orlanthi who ever pulled off what Sartar did.

Jeff