Fwd: Re: [HeroQuest-RPG] Re: Death of Orlanth

From: Jeff <jakyer_at_G6ZsCuGWQpKeII404bZ7rA9bx2sssBEvBMk0e-DakO4mShlSB9LOb9J9MGIl-Xlwke9pz>
Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2007 18:25:17 -0000

In message <373639.58265.qm_at_...> Jane Williams writes:

>P146: "One time all of his brothers conspired, and
>helped by a thief and a trickster they caused Orlanth
>to be outlawed. This is the time of Ernalda's "other
>guardians." She got many strong gods to defend the
>Vingkotling peoples, and forged alliances with small
>gods to join them to the tribe. Here is a partial
>list of her temporary husbands: Elmal the Bright,
>Heler the Shaggy,...."

This could well be the myth Tatius used, get Orlanth outlawed and find Ernalda a suitable protector. Only the priestesses of Ernalda manage to switch myths on him and Ernalda goes to sleep rather than accepting another husband. Which means the earth priestesses Broyan has working with him are a lot more important than we thought. He may be High King but they're running the show.

>Didn't someone once manage to tie some of the
>Ernalda-related scenarios in BA to this idea, or
>something like it? Sorry, my memory here is very
>vague, but I have an idea it's been worked on before.

Page 60, the Ritual. At the begining food for a feast is "taken away for future need" which links to the Fimblewinter. Meaning that at least some priestesses predicted what was going to happen.

>Failing that, this is probably a case of "nothing much
>known, invent to suit the purposes of your game." And
>that invention will be a separate discussion, which we
>could certainly carry out if the OP wants us to, given
>some hints as to requirements. But unless his players
>have very definite links to Ernaldan magic, preferably
>at WW, sweeping the whole thing under the carpet as
>"your characters have no means of knowing that" may
>well work. General death and destruction caused by the
>Lunars is not news :)

My feeling is that many Ernaldans know what's going on in advance but very few Orlanthi do. Broyan is one of the few who does but not Kallyr or the other named leaders.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/

--- End forwarded message ---