Re: Death of Orlanth

From: Greg Stafford <Greg_at_u88Ixb9m62Y8Z7fJzAhmXuH91yPBlIK1zfn6hbES1ijBgQ3z7bZfdSZzHVkSjerVjAlCOWS>
Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2007 14:41:59 -0700

YGWV valkoharja wrote:

> Yinkin didn't die in the Darkness, did he?

Yes, he did. As you will someay see in the Myths book, it says that Orlanth saw Yinkin's skin nailed to the wall of Bijiif's ashen chamber.

> The offiscial cult writeup
> in Storm Tribe is not all that clear, but when Orlanth is frozen he is
> found by Yinkin who licks him back to life. Orlanth then gives Yinkin
> his last rations and continues his Lightbringers quest.
The official write us are almost always ambiguous that way.
> It doesn't sound like Yinkin is dead at that point, and he's
> strengthened by being given food.

 He wasn't dead at that point. Or he was, which is why he was in the Underworld.
> I've always thought Yinkin was one of the gods that survive the great
> darkness. On the other hand, the lightbringers quest described in KoS
> mentiones him dead and nailed to the wall in the Land of the Dead...
> but KoS was written a long time ago, and I've always thought such
> details (like which gods and goddesses are seen to be dead) can vary
> in the LBQ.

The details do vary. They are very ambiguous.

--Greg