Re: Fwd: Death of Orlanth

From: donald_at_yq7lT8k7RjqepT85j-C8veJ7g2fza2xAvVUnfyzLFqNd7lxl3_aJiCvM4quBrVBmmbFep
Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2007 00:46:07 GMT

In message <fdu2f8+tj52_at_eGroups.com> "Jeff" writes:
>--- In HeroQuest-RPG_at_yahoogroups.com, "L.Castellucci"=20
><lightcastle_at_...> wrote:

>It would, although it could also be an accident of the Dragon Pass
>worship. I have been under the impression what is an independent
>subcult and what isn't varies from place to place in Orlanthi culture.
>So Barntar in Dragon Pass is never worshipped as a subcult of Orlanth.
>But he might be elsewhere. So the same might be true of Mahome somewhere
>else.

I tend to think this whole business of cults and subcults is an attempt to provide a rational structure to what is actually a horrible mishmash of deities. At lay member and initiate level everyone sacrifices to every deity depending on the season, what they want help for and local tradition. Even most priests and priestesses sacrifice to Mahome one time and Esra the next. That's why devotion is so uncommon - they are concentrating on one aspect of a deity.

>(None of this explains Kolat and Valind losing power but not Urox.)

I'm unhappy with one HQ affecting the connection to the god plane and the spirit plane. If the three worlds model has any meaning in Glorantha this should be impossible. Now there could be more than one HQ being done but why are the Lunars bothered about a few Kolating Shamans?

As someone else suggested Uroxi get their power from the short world that is the Eternal Battle. Blocking that might require a third HQ which nobody knows or is deemed to be too risky.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/